Monday, August 13, 2007

Model making

Due to my new hobby I haven't blog anything for one and a half weeks now. I just don't have any more time to sketch or draw.
I'm very into building minitaures at the moment. My whole room is filled with tables, craft materials, and little minitaure trees and houses that I need for my miniature landscapes. And even though I have never been very interested in modelling, I'm very happy with my first results. I took some photos. Have a look!

A scene from the zoo (a seal basin or something)


I'm very proud of this miniature of my hometown Bochum with the characteristic shaft tower of the German's Mining Museum. There's me in background!


A miniature of the Old Town of Blankenstein.


And the Old Town of Volterra in Italy.


And in the end a very cool miniature of an old Latin ruin, that you also can find in Voletrra.


Ok, BRUHAHAHA, cool, eh? Of course I didn't start building miniatures. When you click on the pics above you find the original photography right next to the "miniature". I faked them with Photoshop after coming across this tutorial. I don't have the new Photoshop version, so I wasn't able to use that "Len's Blur" effect and had to do the blurring by hand. But it's so easy to trick the human eye, just blurring the fore- and the background and playing around with contrast and colours and the photo looks like a snapshot from a model railway. A great optical illusion! That manipulated pictures are called "tilt shift-fakes" or "fake model photography" and this flickr photo pool is definitely worth a visit.

No comments: